PDA

View Full Version : 3 week Weapons returns!

Buscat
08-24-2011, 01:37 AM
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgICAgLGqogEQhAcYrwEoATIIccvhzkvJ3qU

CGWorkshop's first 3 week summer school workshop was so successful we're bringing it back in the fall! Building a great weapon can be different to creating a character or creature. EA Bioware's Jon Rush helps you hone your sculpting skills on a piece of awesome weaponry. Bring your passion for 3D to this short summer workshop and perfect your weapon creation skills. Modern Game Art - Weapons (http://beta.workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=172) is open to all 3D modelling applications (Max, Maya, XSI, etc...), and takes advantage of ZBrush to push the work to the next level.
This course is suitable for artists of all levels. Different concept weapons will be available for students of Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced ability, so you can work to a level that suits your experience.

"I think I've learned more about 3D for games in the last three weeks than I did in a year at college."
- Kevin Fawcett, student July 2011

Poisen
08-24-2011, 01:16 PM
just wanted to give my small and unasked for opinion."oh brother huh?" lol.

Form should follow function, and be physically possible/plausable for even a semi "realistic" look.

and this is the second time i have seen this posting about the class with that gun graphic.

and i must say,
as a person that has done a fair amount of shooting with the real world stuff, that barrel/bore on that gun gets me every time, "and i know...it shoots..rays...energy...rainbows.. and is a game concept etc." but the vertical cylinder bore on that weapon drives me bonkers.
i keep thinking it must shoot packing peanuts/Nerf pellets or staypuff marsh-mallows."J/K" ;)

even concept/imaginary stuff should have at least a pinky-toe hold on reality/physics to create the illusion of plausability.
and i know...this is just my opine...but it really is something to consider if you are teaching a class about it.
and i honestly mean no offence and hope the class/seminar goes really well...it is just something you might want to think about.

Very best regards
J.B.

Billabong
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I would actually like to hear from anyone who took this class and see what they have to say about it.

edit: I just saw Kevin's remark in the first post, but some other remarks would be nice

-B

deafduck
08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
I took the class and its a real good value for the money, It provides a lot of information, and it was fun.
I didn't model the gun. Jon Rush provided illustrated concepts of the gun, a knife and a club as choices and he allows a fair amount of interpretation of the subject matter by students in the class.
If I were to do the gun myself I might make it over-under double barrelled because like Jon Bennett, the front end on that thing sorta creeps me out too! (yeah I'd considered the bean bag idea) People who modelled the gun used all kinds of different designs on the decorated portions of the pistol and I think at least one person made their barrel round like a real gun.
The little blue lights on the side of the pistol make it look more like a space ship to me but I don't think he would get real upset if you decided not to include those.
It was an intense 3 weeks but it was a fun and informative experience and a very large percentage of the class hung around to the very end.

Billabong
08-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much James for giving some feedback on the class. I've been interested in taking it, but wasn't really sure if it was worth it.

-B

deafduck
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
All of these CGS classes are what you, yourself make them to be.

The old saying you get out of something what you put into it absolutely applies.

If you post updates almost daily and do everything you possibly can to engage not only the instructor but your fellow students, you will get a lot out of it.

But if you only do the minimum required, or fall way behind and don't interact with the others in the class, then no, you are not going to get much out of it.

Billabong
08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
All of these CGS classes are what you, yourself make them to be.

The old saying you get out of something what you put into it absolutely applies.

If you post updates almost daily and do everything you possibly can to engage not only the instructor but your fellow students, you will get a lot out of it.

But if you only do the minimum required, or fall way behind and don't interact with the others in the class, then no, you are not going to get much out of it.

fair enough

thanks

-B

noritominaga
08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Atd5y_0B-6U/TlbYw0joZiI/AAAAAAAAAws/nUtHyEXjIpg/nori_tominaga_JonRushCourseKnife_001.jpg

For a 3 week course, I thought Jon gave detailed and fascinating video lectures and constantly tried to keep students up to speed through the forums. Some of the techniques he used were certainly new to me and I felt I got a lot out of it both through the class and from Jon himself.

It is Zbrush oriented and the recommended software extends to Topogun, Marmoset and XNormal. Jon spends ample time explaining their settings of which it is hard to find the same solid documentation online.

As James mentioned, Jon starts by giving out concepts where the student has to decide how much time he or she thinks they can afford on the short course. I chose the 'mid range' knife model that turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun to do! (A lot of work too)

I'm not sure how long these 3 week short courses have gone for, but this was my first - it kept me on my toes and engaged while packing in really amazing information from a 'modern game art' pipeline. Highly recommended.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FzdTcbPy77Q/TlbYw5zRPwI/AAAAAAAAAww/SxwogFgW4IE/nori_tominaga_JonRushCourseKnife_002.jpg

deafduck
08-26-2011, 12:19 AM
This was the first time Jon or CGS has done a class with a 3 week format. It was an experiment. Apparently a successful one because he is offering the same course again soon.

deafduck
08-26-2011, 12:20 AM
This was the first time Jon or CGS has done a class with a 3 week format. We were the first group to experience the 3 week format. It would be interesting to do it again a year from now if he's still offering it and see how much it changes.

Decency
08-26-2011, 12:24 AM
I also took the course, and if you are at all interested in real-time art then you will definitely learn from this course. Just having the chance to sit down and create a high quality piece from scratch all the way to finished product is valuable. Even better, you have feedback from your classmates and the instructor who is a skilled senior artist. The three weeks goes by quickly, so if you are working you will have to put in some heavy hours to complete your piece on time.

jpatel
08-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I took the course and it was a lot of fun. It covered a lot of things I already knew, but I did learn quite a few ZBrush workflow things that were very helpful. I made the gun and the club, which was a good combination since the gun is very mechanical/hard surface and the club is more organic.

As James mentioned, it's about how much effort you put into it. The people who were active on the forum and willing to give and receive help got a lot out of it. Even though the class is over, there are still people on the class forum posting updates to their work.

Billabong
08-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time to give all the valuable feedback about the class. I really appreciate it.

-B

Gingerhammer
08-26-2011, 11:46 PM
@Poisen:

I've got no real interest in picking at your opinion...but I just couldn't help adding my tuppence worth.

I've done a 'fair amount of shooting with the real world stuff' too - but I've never had the opportunity to handle a futuristic/fantastical weapon that shoots rays, energy or rainbows.

I have had the pleasure of fashioning and detonating shaped charges though and, perhaps, coupled with my imagination (fired-up by the image presented by the OP) I have no problem envisioning a variety of devastating shaped energy emerging from that barrel - rainbow coloured or nut flavoured!

Perhaps a greater problem with this depiction of a fantastical weapon is that it resembles a real-world fire-arm too much?

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2011, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.