PDA

View Full Version : How deep is the map?

tmcthree
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Is there any way of telling how deep a displacement map is?

In other words. how deep you should set it in the rendering? The default in max is set to 2.54cm, but that can't be right for every map, surely?

You can in zbrush.

oglu
08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
what is the question..?
how to adjust the displacement in max..?

tmcthree
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
what is the question..?
how to adjust the displacement in max..?

Sort of.

In zbrush, when you create a displacement map, and clone it to alpha, if you open the alpha panel, at the bottom of the panel is the "alpha depth factor". This gives a number which is how deep you should set the map in max or maya or whatever.

I can't find any such information when you extract a map in mudbox. Does this mean that, when determining what depth to set in max, you have to just, judge by eye

oglu
08-24-2011, 01:47 PM
if you extract a 16bit mudbox will save this number into the texture name... filename_g18.123.tif
if you extract a 32bit map the depth info is baked into the map...

tmcthree
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
if you extract a 16bit mudbox will save this number into the texture name... filename_g18.123.tif
if you extract a 32bit map the depth info is baked into the map...

thanks, but I'm using 32 bit maps and I still seem to be able to affect the depth of the map in max.
If the depth is baked in, what depth should the slider in max be set to?

Oh and by the way, do you know why sometimes mudbox only extracts to the red channel?

soulburn3d
08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
What method are you using in max to displace? Maybe this document might help:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/mudbox_2010_to_max/mudbox_2010_to_max.htm

- Neil

robinb
08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Neil you star. I was going to look this tutorial up just the other day. You've saved me the effort.

Thelonius
08-28-2011, 06:05 PM
I think you get, with the deph color of the map, just the resolution of the displacement deformation (in 32 bits per channel you get vectorial displacement map). The amount of displacement have to be indicated in the material in 3DS MAX.

When you deform an objet in Mudbox paintinf displacements maps, and exporting them into MAX, you have to get the same intensity of displacement ajusting the material.

tmcthree
08-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys, I've switched to 16bit maps which seems to have solved all my problems. (but not my personal ones(which are many))

atac
09-09-2011, 05:21 PM
The depth factor that you apply in max is just a multiplier on top of the displacement values that exist in the map you extracted from Mudbox. If you extract a 32 bit map, Mudbox records the displacement in worldspace units -- for example, if the distance between a particular point on the target mesh and the corresponding point on the source mesh is 0.12 centimeters, then Mudbox will record a pixel value of "0.12". So to accurately recreate the source detail at render time, all you need to do is set Max's displacement to a value of "1" so that the values in the map are preserved at their current scale.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2011, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.