PDA

View Full Version : ? 3DS Max 5 Edgeloop ?

Agent 47
11-03-2003, 07:25 PM
As a hopeful wannabe newbie, I'm trying to follow a tutorial (http://www.secondreality.ch/tutorials/modelling/head.html).

I'm stuck on a part of the tut that asks that you perform an edgeloop. How is that done in Max 5? :shrug:

I have searched far and wide (including this site's forums) and have come up with a ton of information on what it is, but nobody explains HOW to perform this in Max 5.

I even foud one post by a fellow who was brazen enough to say it can be done in Max 5, but he neglected to state how.

So any information on how to perform an edge loop in Max 5 would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, even "I'm-so-much-better-than-you-because-I-know-how-to-do-this-and-you-don't" or "My-ego-is-bigger-than-your-driveway" attitudes are welcome... if you yield results. :cool:

Edit___
In a nutshell: How do you perform an edgeloop in 3D Studio Max v.5?

Hamilcar
11-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi,
Good question by the way:) My question is why are there so many dam ways to do things in 3d:surprised its one of those cases where your overwhelmed with choice. The great thing is when something doesn't work you can always do it a different way. Anyway to answer your question follow these steps:

Simple example:
1) create a cube
2) convert to editable poly
3) enter edge mode
4) select one edge
5) in the selection rollout click Ring
6) in the edit edges rollout click connect
7) pat yourself on the back you just made an edge loop in max

Hints: try to use the Ring, Loop, Shrink, and Grow buttons as your
modeling to speed up the selection of edges.

I hope this helps you out:)

Agent 47
11-03-2003, 08:17 PM
When I get home, I'll give this a shot. Thanks so much for the wonderful help! You are a star-quality individual.

:beer:

Hamilcar
11-03-2003, 08:27 PM
:beer:

Hydra
11-03-2003, 08:28 PM
why is this so tough? edgeloop... look at the word, edgeLOOP... it is an(many) edge(s) that loops, like a circle where the end meets the beginning. like an O or a 0 or even a 8, Q. C is a broken loop O missing an edge.

see, edgeLOOP, looooop, eeeedge :drool:

Hamilcar
11-03-2003, 09:34 PM
The more you learn the less you know, the more you know the less you learn.:)

Agent 47
11-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Thank God Hydra showed up.

I mean, there I was with a ton of information on what an edgeloop was,then Hydra... gives me more? What WOULD I have done without him?

Although, when reading a post with your head up your anus I guess you do tend to focus on describing circles.

Your anus is a loop. If your anus were the number 8, you would have an anus that was stapled together. If your anus was the letter c... well your head was just a little too big going in.

:wavey:

Electrofirma
11-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Hydra
why is this so tough? edgeloop... look at the word, edgeLOOP... it is an(many) edge(s) that loops, like a circle where the end meets the beginning. like an O or a 0 or even a 8, Q. C is a broken loop O missing an edge.

see, edgeLOOP, looooop, eeeedge :drool:

No, i'm sorry! Does anyone else have a guess?

[/sarcastist mirror mode]

An edgeloop has nothing to do with it going clear around an object.

An edge loop is any edge which passes through a 4 edge, 4 face vertex. These 4 edge, 4 face (I'll call them square) vertexes allow subdivision and smoothing algorithms to follow the same edge and use it's nearby segments to help define it's curvature.

By building a mesh which relies heavily on edgeloops and square vertices the modeller has a greater amount of control over how things will smooth and how smoothly they will animate.

Any vertex which isn't square (!= 4 edges) is called a pole. Edgeloops won't pass through poles. Poles are unavoidable when modelling but they should whenever possible be kept to 3 or 5 edges, and placed in areas which will not be heavily deformed during animation.

Poles also, especially with more than 5 edges, can be very problematic when using SubD smoothing. Different programs handle things differently but generally you can count on some kind of smoothing glitches.

There's more to it than that, and I don't even use the right words most oftenly, but it doesn't mean the edge goes clear around. It means that the edge logically connects to another edge through a square vertex. The longer the loop, the better.

EDIT: Well after reading the initial post again I do realize that my answer was off topic and not to the problem at hand. It is amazing how one simple question can lead some to play the idiot, and one idiot can drive others to not pay close attention.

Agent 47
11-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Ham-e: Selection rollout had no "Ring" option.

Which version of max are you using?

If 5, do you have a plug-in? In the meantime, I'll just wing it. Like you said, there's so many options, I'm sure I'll find something that works.

As previously implied: I'm a total novice with Max 5 (or any other 3D app), so any suggestion on how to go about doing something is news to me. :beer:

Electrofirma: RE:EDIT: Truer words were never spoken. However, going off topic is a good thing when it brings that kind of insight into the conversation- :thumbsup:

Theht
11-04-2003, 03:22 PM
I am not sure but if you use Editmesh their is no edegeloop
and edgering availeble only in EDITPOLY.

And besides their is an script Meshtools which makes a lot of work
easier but it not more nesesary in max5, but i still work with it.

anim8
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken edgeloop is a term that Bay Raitt ( http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid//index.php ) coined a few years ago based off of a modeling method he uses.
An edgeloop is actually just a series of edges connected end to end that serve as a line of reference as you model.
In simpler terms, if you model a head and you select the outlined edges of the lips, that would be an edgeloop. If you
were using the edgeloop "technique", you would have tried to arrange the edges into that shape initially and refined from there.
Its something you probably already do. Some packages will let you select an edge and it will automatically select all the edges that are end to end to it, making a "loop" around the model. They dont actually have to be connected, but edgeloop sounds so much better than edge sets......:)

Agent 47
11-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Ahhh... I see. i think I was too hung up on trying to figure out how to do it by pressing a button that I did not realize it is usually something that happens by default.

Veddy intahresting... :surprised

I'm totally new to this game, so anything is news to me.

Thanks for the insight.

Hamilcar
11-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone, I hope no one gets hurt while trying to preform an edgeloop. Ok Agent47 I use max 5.1 the selection tools I was reffering to are four buttons (shrink, grow, ring, and loop) located in the command panel>modify tab>selection rollout, just under the red buttons that allow you to select your edit mode. to do my example you need to make sure you right click> convert to editable poly. You will see in the modifier stack that it says editable poly not Box. Damn its hard to be clear! Ok I was just trying to explain what to do when in a tut someone says "add an edgeloop here" Of course you could just right click>cut, and manually cut your edges. I have two suggetions that might help

1)If you want to understand Bay Raitt's lingo download Wings 3d
it's a cool modeler that works in his way, and very simple to use.

2)Do the "Modeling a Low-Polygon Character" tut that comes with max

:)

Hydra
11-05-2003, 04:21 AM
well, ah, yes..

here ya go http://www.metagons.com/dsarticle04.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.