PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Jackal7
08-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Hi everybody

Please check out my latest work called 'Shield of Faith', find it attached. CGS has declined it in the viewing of completed work due to quote "We're very sorry to let you know that this work does not yet meet our standards as a completed piece for the Showcase Gallery. We'd like to encourage you to post your work in the WIP forum to develop it further before submitting it again."

So, here I am, asking for any advice, as I feel my art is complete, but perhaps someone can open my eyes or point me in the right direction?

For larger view: http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g71/428271/428271_1313741304_large.jpg

Thanks!

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g71/428271/428271_1313741304_large.jpg

siksi
08-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Hello,

I would start by making your textures and "Photoshop tricks" less obvious (or by removing them altogether). I'd say, broadly speaking, if you can look at any given picture and say which Photoshop (or any other software) filters or special features were used, it's a bad sign.

You might get rid of the lens flare and just paint the glow in. You have some very "obvious" texture in the picture (the walls of the buildings, the ground). It looks like you simply took a texture and stretched it over the plane. Check some tutorials on using textures; there's no one right way but usually you want to decrease the opacity of the texture quite a bit and paint some details, shadows etc over it.

You could also add some details to the shattered windows - light reflections etc. Did you paint those flames or were they cut from photos? They seem to differ stylistically quite a bit from the character.

Overall the picture is bad at all in my opinion. The composition is alright, the character's anatomy is not bad at all (hairline looks a tad too high and his thumb seems to be slightly too small). Just try to tie it all together so that the overall style of the picture is consistent. It just reads funny if you have close-to-photographic elements mixed with more painterly characters.

Hope this helps and you get your work accepted! Good luck. :)

Jackal7
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Siksi

Thanks very much for your comments! That's exactly what I needed! :-)

nightmarejan
08-23-2011, 04:24 AM
i couldnt agree more. one thing i noticed the most is that the image is way too sharp...kinda too digital.

another thing is that its lacking more tension, yes, there are flaming arrows shooting at him but who's firing? i think if you put the antagonist on screen it would be more interesting. add enemies also in the background, like closing in on the guy. give him some armor too. the top arrow will also hit him in the face, so maybe make the shield a bit bigger (i would also suggest putting some inscriptions on it, to make it more magical)

Jackal7
08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks nightmarejan for your comments!

I appreciate all the comments I can get. I do like the idea of adding further detail to the shield :-)

BillyWJ
08-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks nightmarejan for your comments!

I appreciate all the comments I can get. I do like the idea of adding further detail to the shield :-)

Take a look at the composition, as well. The brightest spot in the piece is the sun, so your eye is draw there, and it stays there. It's overwhelming the rest of the piece. Your eye enters from the left, follows the arrows, and skips right over the figure, to the sun.

I'd rethink the composition. Perhaps be looking at the figure from below, at an angle, so the arrows are entering the frame from the corner above, which would lead your eye to the figure.

Jackal7
08-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks BillyWJ

I know what you are saying, busy trying to sort it out as we speak! :-)

Thanks for your comments!

Lunatique
08-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Other than the critiques already given, also pay attention to your lighting scheme overall.

You've got a bright sun behind him, but I don't see an adequately bright rim light from the sun on him at all. Why would the rim light be red like you currently have, if the sun's light rays are not red? Even if the sky is red, the direct lighting from the sun will completely overpower any of the red from the sky from dominating, so what we should see is a bright rim light in the same color cast as the sun.

You depicted the figure being lit from the front, but what exactly is that light source? And why don't we see the lighting effects from those flaming arrows? There's five of them grouped together, yet collectively we don't see the light from their flames affecting the shield or the figure.

What will make a lot more sense is if you have the character and shield totally back lit by the sun, almost a silhouette, and then the only lighting coming from the front is from the flaming arrows.

Jackal7
08-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Awesome! Thanks very much! Certainly makes sense!

Jackal7
11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi guys

It has been quite awhile since last posting on this.... What can one say but work takes precedence.

However I have now had a chance to get into it, and I would just like to say thanks again for all your input. It really helped and stretched me to improve.

I have placed the new one in my gallery, please check it out and if you have any comments, good or bad, please dont hold back as I only want to improve.

Jackal7
11-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Ok...Now I'm getting discouraged....

My image is still not good enough for the following reasons:

-There might be noticeable artistic or technical problems in your image.

-The context of your image may need a more creative presentation.

-The image might contain elements that could be offensive to some.

Now, this image I have done I feel is alot better than my last 2 images which were accepted...

Am I reading too much into this or is it not being accepted cause it has Christian scripture on it?

Lunatique
11-19-2011, 08:43 AM
The quality bar for acceptance into the Showcase Gallery is higher now than it used to be. Generally speaking, I think the overall quality bar is set so that any image accepted would have to be good enough for consideration into the Expose books--that's the quality you need to aim for.

Jackal7
11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I understand the bar has to be set high and I agree with that, but have you seen some of the art that is accepted into the forum? The bar seems to move.

Lunatique
11-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I understand the bar has to be set high and I agree with that, but have you seen some of the art that is accepted into the forum? The bar seems to move.

That can't be helped. It's a group of judges and not every judge gets to vote--it only requires two votes to accept or reject an image, so many images never gets seen by majority of the judges. It's not an ideal system, but I have already spoken up about it publicly and behind the scenes--there isn't anything else I can do to change the system.

Jackal7
11-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your reply. Certainly seems to be a lacking system. However, thanks for your efforts and voicing it out there.

I guess I will do my next image and see what happens.

What do you think of my latest image "shield revamped"? Any crit for me?

Lunatique
11-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Why didn't you post the revamped version here in this thread so we can compare them?

I looked at the revamped version, and it's a definite improvement over the previous version. Here are some issues to look into:

-His face still looks quite clumsy in terms of anatomical structure--there's no indication of the skeletal structure of his face at all. It looks like features pasted onto a flat plane, but a face is not flat at all. There are lots of different planes on a face.

-His hairline is hard-edged as if he's wearing a mask. And why is his hairline lopsided?

-Muscles when flexed have volume, yet the way you painted his Levator Labii (the sneer muscle/wrinkle, as some might refer to it), it's just a sharp crease and has no actual turning of form at all.

-Where is the hinge of his jaw?

-His hand looks off structurally--especially the fingers--they kind of look like soft rubber without bones.

-His shirt is lacking wrinkles from the stress point, compression point, or even loose flabs connecting the two points.

-Anatomy of his arm looks odd--in fact, there's no structural form at all of the muscles.

-The details on the shield cannot have cast shadows in all directions--that is physically impossible.

-The ground is completely featureless. No pock marks, no ditches, no pebbles, rocks, cracks, textures, or anything else.

These are just some of the issues I see, and there are more. Generally speaking, the image is showing very obvious problems that are symptoms of lacking mastery of the critical foundations of visual art--it's not really just things you "fix" in an image and then it'll get accepted--you have quite a bit of catching up to do artistically if you want to win over the judges--no matter which two of them that ends up voting for your next piece.

My suggestion is you buckle down and study hard for at least a year or more in actually see dramatic improvements in overall artistic level of your work. Head on over to the Art Techniques & Theories forum and start reading all the sticky threads (linked below in my signature).

Jackal7
11-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Robert for your imput

I will do what I can.

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2011, 10:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.