PDA

View Full Version : Question about Linear Workflow

Exsecratus
08-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I was doing some research and studying LWF and I have a doubt about why we use it.
I know we got to correct the textures to linear space because renders calculate lightning and colors in 32bit linear space.
Images from the internet and cameras have a sRgb curve on them so we see them correctly on our monitors and TVs(?) that have a sRGB standard.
So my question is: why those eletronic devices have sRGB standard?
I saw some comments like
- because our eyes percieve linear color as not linear as sRGB
- because these eletronics devices can't display linear properly?
- because people who made them, just use this sRGB standard for whatever reason?
- because non linear is easier to math with?
I just really wanted to know

Sorry for my english

gmask
08-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I believe the sRGB standard came about from a time when display devices were not capable of displaying a broader range of color. This isn't the case any more but many systems still use it.

It really makes more sense to work with linear color.. just imagine if rulers had a curve.. how messed up would that be?

mlager8
08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I had read somewhere that it came from the early 50's when television broadcasting was in it's infancy. Because television was not crisp the governing body of the time (some form of the FCC I guess) decided that a gamma shift would bump the levels and make images more viewable. It was made a standard and now is remnants from older technology and barriers that no longer exist. For some reason or another this hasn't been changed even though its such an antiquated solution.

Bitter
08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Actually, the people that came up with the standard were a lot smarter than you think.

It was made a standard and now is remnants from older technology and barriers that no longer exist.

Your eyes do not respond to light linearly. The scientists knew this. This is a reason some of us refer to it as "perceptual" colorspace. (As for NTSC, they used hardware to color correct the signal that was linear I believe)

sRGB is designed to take into account both human perception and normal viewing conditions and is a more modern standard from the mid-1990's.

So it's less about limitations of hardware and more about limitations of your eyes. :D

Exsecratus
08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I see. Thanks for the clarifications guys.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.