PDA

View Full Version : zbrush workflow question

luisRiera
08-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi, appologies if this question has been asked before:

Before I jump into zbrush learning (wich I asume It would take me three months at least given my work and free time), I want to know what is the correct way to go:

1. create a base mesh in Softimage, so I have proper UVs and a good topology, go to Zbrush to paint and sculpting and then go back to Softimage

or

2. model everything using Zspheres or the Shadowbox (wich I have seen in videos), and then go to Softimage to animate, wich I dont know if the topology would be as clean as in number 1 example.

And my second question is..does the materials in Zbrush translate correctly to a 3d software? example Reflections as blinn, skin as Subsurface, etc.

frog
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
With option 2 you will need to retopologise your mesh, which isn't as bad as it sounds because the initial mesh creation in Zbrush will be much faster and more enjoyable than using a traditional modelling package.

For retopology you should maybe have a look at Topogun, it's a great tool for the job.

luisRiera
08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
I have tried for a few days and I cant get past the interface... Its sad because I have seen a lot of great additions in r4. I dont want to get flamed for this but I hope Mudbox can steal the great tools Zbrush has to offer.

Longbowan
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
My personal opinion is to start out in my traditional 3d software. With the most Minimized low poly character if I'm Animating and then bring it into Zbrush... For now. I have found that working with zb4 more enjoyable and with the new plugins of zb4... I find my self less in the 3d software then I will go into zb these day's... for now :) but there are new working zbrushes update's that are coming down the pipe that my even stop Modeling in any 3d environment all together... stay toned :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.