PDA

View Full Version : Why is floating a label so darn hard

SpaceRabbit
08-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I just don't see why I am having such a hard time with this issue, but I'm going to try to explain it so someone can illuminate why I'm out of my mind here. I have a glass surface (MiaX). I want to put a label onto that surface. I do not want to float geo, I just want to layer a shader. Here is the crux of it, when it renders, I want the alpha to be correct too so this object could be placed onto things if I wanted. I have yet to find a combination of things that work. I've used a Maya layered shader with a dielectic and gotten that to work, but the alpha does not work. I've use JS_Multilayers with a dielectic and gotten that to work with proper alpha. I can not however get the MiaX to work with it entirely, it seems to be missing part of the reflection.

Anyone care to cast some illumination on how to do this? I just feel like this should not be so complicated.

Thanks,
BT

dmarques1177
08-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I have had problems with this before, I think it has something to do with the Mia material and opacity settings on it. I remember having to do a cut out and I was getting the opposite effect. Meaning I was getting floating reflections outside of my "seen" area.

PerfectLine
08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
This one is an old one that comes up every now and again. Does the image node used for transparency have its color balance>Default Color at the default value of 0.5?

If so you will need to take that down to 0. Anything outside the image edge will definitely reset and look wrong.

I do use layered texture for this trick though because it lets me control it better then directly applied to a shader color or diffuse channel. You have to use the alpha of the image OR make a b&w alpha to go with it. Then the main thing is getting that default color down to black for the transparency image other wise you will get problems outside the image edge...

I used projection here so the label shows on the backside too but I could have used the UVs too. No floating geo. just an image on a shader. This is on a miaX shader.

Or... is this not what you meant?

InfernalDarkness
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I mean no offense to you folks here, certainly your method for doing labels has some benefits, and I also am not sure about the scope of your projects or how often you'll be needing the techniques you're discussing...

But I really think you folks are taking the hard path on this one! There's really no need for all this shader mumbo-jumbo, in my opinion. Simply make a separate piece of geometry. Make it from your bottle or whatever you're attaching the label too. Then you don't have to worry about all this rendering nonsense, and you have complete control over your label as a separate entity!

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9003/labeli.jpg

I also tried all kinds of shader tricks for this wine bottle's label. But in the end, it was much, much faster to simply make a label than to try and make the shaders work proper, under heavy photon-fire and with all the other rendering silliness involved.

Just my thoughts, ignore them if you like!

PerfectLine
08-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I do it that way often too Infernal. :D

Plus it makes it so you can do front and backface labels easier too.

But he requested another method in his post "dont want to float geo" so.... I tried. ;) BTW nice image. :D

InfernalDarkness
08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
(laughs!) Well, most of my old stuff sucks to me now, I don't even know if I knew linear lighting back then, but my trees were horrific before the big Forest thread...

But yes, alternative methods surely will have value too. A bigger project with lots of different labels may benefit from a shader-only solution, for certain.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.