PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! MECH ARENA!: grantmoore3d - Weapons Testing

grantmoore3d
08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm a little late in joining, but I noticed the deadline got extended so I should have enough time to whip something together. I've been wanting to do a live-action / CG integration FX shot for a while now, so I figured this could be a fun excuse to put one together.

The Rough Idea : A mech is walking around an urban / downtown setting, testing it's weapons by shooting down floating drone targets. I might have a "gag" at the end where it misses and causes some sort of un-intended damage. I'll refine the idea a little more this week as I ponder the various shooting locations available to me. I might go to the local University since there aren't many people on campus this time of year.

Roberto, I'll send you a PM with request for the latest Drone mech :)

grantmoore3d
09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Just a quick update... I manged to get out and shoot a bunch of footage that I hope to be able to put the Mech into. It will basically just be walking down a grassy field shooting at things (I gave up on the city shots, too many people / cars to deal with). I also UV-mapped and got a quick texture done, it's not he best but once I play with materials and stick in an IBL dome for lighting / reflections, it should look good enough.

http://i.imgur.com/vBEHT.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The surfacing on that modle looks fantastic.

Great work!
-R

grantmoore3d
09-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks Roberto! Here's a quick test render with the materials and lighting mocked up for one of my shots. I'll be rigging it this evening and hopefully start doing some tracking this week :)

http://i.imgur.com/qJpeW.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Awesome,
I was hoping for a live action comp entry.

Good luck!
-R

grantmoore3d
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Got a few shots tracked (nothing to show yet) and his upper-half rigged. I'm definitely not a rigging expert so getting the bullet chain was a little tricky, and still not perfect (have to type in some value manually to re-align them)... anyhow, hopefully tonight I'll get his feet rigged and can start animating!

http://i.imgur.com/x8IPJ.jpg

brazz
09-15-2011, 01:55 PM
pretty cool. will keep an eye here.

RobertoOrtiz
09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
That looks great.

I am looking forward to the final entry.
-R

grantmoore3d
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Wow, I really hate to be the third thread in here to not finish on time, but alas I've had a lot of things have higher priority than this project. I intend to finish a shot and will post it here, just might take another month.

Roberto, don't let this discourage you from the cross-challenge projects, I love that you're getting a small "production" cycle going between the challenge threads! It's very exciting :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.