PDA

View Full Version : Dragon

shadows
11-03-2003, 07:57 AM
5897 polys (tris)
http://www.stevensart.com/portfolio/Dragon_wire.jpg

dragonfx
11-03-2003, 08:52 AM
only 6000 tris... why my polycounts seem to skyrocket when i look to other side?:( he looks a bit rigid tough:revenge::P) when it will be textured?

oXYnary
11-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Did you see Godzilla? The american remake?

Well remember how "humanized" his muscle structure was versus a lizards.. You seem to have that going on. Too much taught skin versus draped folding scales.

Of course this could be the look your after. The concept?

Alot of small details in the face could be reduced.. like some of the horns and such. This depends on how close you are going to have this to the viewer in the game you plan, or even as a portfolio piece. I meant what type of game would you plan having him in? Something like a FPA where the face would literally be inches from you?

Also the back bone could use a little more definition, that or a flat plane of polys to cover it under a row of scales.

DOOMNINJA
11-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Some suggestions if I may?

I just hacked together a quick sketch to show some of the things I would maybe change. I tried not to deviate to far from your original design though ;)

I drew him a bit lighter in the mid section and upper/lower torso, and beefed up the back leg a bit. This would make him a tad lighter, and enable him to leap into the air for a take off.

Also if iI were doing this, I'd increase the wing span to insure that the dragon would be able to generate enough lift to stay in the air when flying! yay!

I usually consider the wings to basicaly be huge, elogenated arms with skin membrane bettween the fingers. I think that's basically what they are, on creatures like bats and Vampiric Samuri Toads.

Anyway, just some suggestions, and they are more personal prefference than anything. Who's to say what a dragon should look like? Hehe.
http://www.doomninja.com/images/Dragoncopy.jpg

-Doom

P.S. Doom!

- edit -

Helps when you add the link...

jeffro
11-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Is that going to be his default pose? I would definately model him in his main pose. The front arms are going to deform in the joint areas and I would definately model in the bend in the front arms. The head looks real solid. A lot of the detail you put in with modeling probably could have been done with a texture. This project just screams for a normal map on it though. You should look into that it would add a lot.

bustasnipe
11-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Great job
I totaly agree with doomninja though
and yea you could lower the poly's and use textures to show lots of the details

Quandary One12
11-04-2003, 06:53 AM
I think Doomninja was right about the wings becuase i don't think the wings he has now can hold him up in the air.

shadows
11-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Thank you.

The front legs look really weird to me too, I'm not sure if rigging it will fix the look of them, I have a long way to go. So we'll see.
The wings are going to be way bigger than this once I am done with them and I will redesign them a little.
Plus a couple of other minor things will change too.

oXYnary : Yea that is the look I was after, it will look much more interesting. IMO.
The low poly version with the normal maps will be well under 4000 polys, i'm thinking something like 2500-3500.

DOOMNINJA : I've taken all of your suggestions into consideration and I have agree withall of them.
With bigger wings it looks way better and it actually looks like he could fly. Though i'm not sure if I am going to change the midsection, the way it is right shows that he is heatlhy and has a belly full of human remains,hehe , well that<s how I see him. ;)

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a high poly model to extract a normal map out of this model, but I have to learn it one day and this was a good opportinity, the mesh was clean enough to just keep adding details o it.
I'm not 100% sure on how all this normal mapping stuff work, so i'll have quite a bit of reading to do and this is also the first high poly model I make. I don<t really like the way it<s looking right now but it<s my first one. ;)
http://www.stevensart.com/personal-projects/dragon/dragon-wip-1.jpg

jeffro
11-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Check out the normal mapper plugin from ATI. I know it works with maya. Not sure about other software. You just export the high and the low models, run it through their program, and ding! the normal map is created and you can view it. It runs in a command line which stinks, but I have used it and it works great.

AndyBa
11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
The high poly head look amazing!!!
Good work!

kuman
11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
if you're really interested in normal mapping and you wanna stay inside max i'd recommend checking out kaldera

www.mankua.com

we use it here at work and its a great tool

-k

RampanT
11-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Very nice. You've got a lot of detail in there for 6000 tri's.

Migs
11-12-2003, 09:50 PM
That is ONE FANTASTIC HEAD! I can see great things coming from a textured version of this!

shadows
11-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Thank you!

Just need to finish up the wings now.
And there's something really weird with the front feet I can't quite figure out what yet though. :S
http://www.stevensart.com/personal-projects/dragon/dragon-wip-2.jpg

Mangled Poly
11-14-2003, 09:35 PM
<3

Threedeemer
11-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Very nice creature, It has lots of potential. Doomninja made some excellent points especially about the wing design. Its tricky to make suggestions on imaginary creatures like this but, somehow the feet look strange, the rear set have a plantigrade structure yet the claw on the heel makes it look more like perching style feet, one idea would be to position that thumblike claw more inwards and off the heel. Another foot structure would be digitigrade like cats and horses. Clever sounding Discovery Channel terminology. :-)

Sceme
12-11-2003, 10:15 AM
front feets looks like they would bend forward, not backward like back feets does (knee area..or is it elbow on front feets)....i don't know...well.

But anyway this is awesome dragon. If u can fix the feet problem it will be almost perfect :P

NeoGSR
12-11-2003, 11:34 AM
That dragon reminds me of a dog I use to own...
So far its looking damn good.

Keep with the style of the wings you have, but they definately need to be a bit bigger.

I just want to see the texture, but thats just because I'm on a texture kick.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.