PDA

View Full Version : Help with quick-rigging a LEGO minifig

jonima
08-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello people! I would like some advice on how to quick-rig a LEGO minifigure in Autodesk MAYA (any version from 2009). Should i use few joints or just as many as any other characters? In addition, how could i make correct skinning so that there are no overlaps in leg holes? I found a LEGO minifig rigged on the web, but it for blender, and it seems, 2009 cannot open the exported file.

I have also heard of CATrig, used in 3DS MAX. A guy used CATrig to animate a LEGO minifig of his. It consists of some pieces settled on the character. Any case for something similar to CATrig in Maya?

pazrot
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I am not sure how the style of your animation is. But if it is a realistic Lego figure you don't really need to skin anything by hand (each geometry part gets completely skinned to one joint).
There should be the minimum amount of joints, just so each object can rotate independently, like the real version.

The joint pivots will be really important thou. To find those you can either rotate the geometry and edit the pivot (I would recommend putting it back to world-center before skinning).
Or you skin the geometry and then use the "move skinned joints" tool. But that seems harder to me.
In both cases you might want to use an extra transform on top, to easily test different default orientation axes.

jonima
08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
No no no no... i understand what you mean, and that needs no joints. I want real animation, with bending knees, you know IK setup and all. I know how to setup rig, but i don't know if joints are appropriate, and then i don't know how to skin correctly. That's where i need help.

pazrot
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I guess you want to use one of the free autoriggers then. There are quite a few on creativecrash.com.
From what I have heard you should definately give advancedSkeleton a try.

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.