PDA

View Full Version : Vray and Depth of Field...

deviltronix
08-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Does anybody have a guide to setting up Depth Of Field in Vray for Maya?

I tried my settings as I would in Mental Ray and everything is blurry...

Also, If you look at this page:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/examples_vrayphysicalcamera.htm

It mentions settings like ISO and Vignetting.. where are these advanced camera settings hidden?

Thanks.. looking forward to this discussion

deviltronix
08-16-2011, 03:27 AM
To add one other thing.. in a small scale scene (inches) my object is 3.4 inches from the camera. But In Vray, it only renders clearly with a setting of "8" for the focus distance..

Where should the measurment be coming from?

SePu
08-16-2011, 03:43 AM
in your camera shape > Attributes > Vray > Physical Camera

Also to help you out go to Display > Heads Up Display > Object Details

there is an attribute call Distance From Camera then you pick the further object in you scene and closer one then you output that into the Depth Black and Depth White ....

This is just if you want to output a pass from Vray if not use the Physical Camera which is pretty much the same thing

PerfectLine
08-16-2011, 06:03 AM
You should use the option "get focus distance from camera".

Then you select the camera you are going to use and go to

Display>Rendering>Camera/Light Manipulator > checkbox for center of interest.

This will turn on the center of interest gimble. You can then move this by selecting the camera and going to the channel box. In the channel box at the bottom there should be a center of interest attribute you can adjust. This will move the center of interest forward and back on the camera's Z. But, you also have to account for Vrays world size. Each unit is 1 centimeter ...so.. my scene was built all inside the default grid size. I had to adjust the aperture down to like 0.200 to get this level of focus. Other wise it was super blurry and tight. But if your scene is actually sized at the 1unit=1cm then the aperture is correct at 1.00-5.00 depending on how close you are.

right click "view image" for full size.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6278/vraydof.jpg

deviltronix
08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the help..

I think my main problem was working in inches..

I will do a test scene tonight and post results.

Thanks again!

rich

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.