PDA

View Full Version : A recent grad in need of advice

Sfrenjon
08-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I am in need of advice, since graduation I have had a tough time finding a direction to move in that will allow me to grow and find an opportunity in the 3d field. To provide a little background I have earned a BFA and understand the concepts of art and design. I studied 3D modeling and animation and all aspects within those titles.

What I am having the most trouble with is this feeling of not feeling good enough about my work or attempts to grow my artistic abilities.

What I am asking for advice for is: Where should I go from here? Whats a good way to grow and develop my art so that one day soon I can be good enough to find employment?

I know the old saying "practice, practice, practice" is probably what I will hear the most, but shouldn't I be a little beyond that at this point?

I don't know what kind of timeline these things usually happen in, I sometimes wonder if the education I received even prepared me enough to try to grow my skills alone.

But, I do know that I love the field. That it gets my heart racing when I see great work done in 3D and illustration. I just want to know how to take that energy and apply it towards becoming one of the people who's work gets someone else's heart racing.

Thank you for your time, any and all advice received will be shared and appreciated.

Lunatique
08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Generally speaking, the average quality of education that 3D artists receive in school is abysmal. They leave school without any solid understanding of even the most basic foundations of visual art, because the school spent the whole time teaching them mostly just how to push the right buttons in software instead of how to be a good artist first and foremost.

Whether you are beyond a certain is not something you can assess accurately yourself, since most people are bad when it comes to that kind of self-awareness (and that's why there's the whole Dunning-Kruger theory). What you should do is post your work so others can critique and tell you what you are lacking and what you need to work on.

In the meantime, you should read all the sticky threads in this Art T&T forum--it contains lots of advice especially for people like you--those who are feeling a bit lost and insecure, but have the passion to want to move forward, except you're not sure how.

Sfrenjon
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Whether you are beyond a certain is not something you can assess accurately yourself, since most people are bad when it comes to that kind of self-awareness (and that's why there's the whole Dunning-Kruger theory). What you should do is post your work so others can critique and tell you what you are lacking and what you need to work on.

In the meantime, you should read all the sticky threads in this Art T&T forum--it contains lots of advice especially for people like you--those who are feeling a bit lost and insecure, but have the passion to want to move forward, except you're not sure how.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I will read though the posts here and I have found a few helpful ones in the school section. And i will be sure to share my work. Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.