PDA

View Full Version : how would you go about modeling this for camera mapping?

av24
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm trying to find the easiest way of camera mapping a terrain with simple geometry. However i can't seem to find the right way of modelling a surface like this even a rough approximate enough for camera projection. So i just thought i'd ask you guys how would you model this with polys or nurbs or curves? and what primitives would you use? or would you start from scratch?

picture is attached

InfernalDarkness
08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I myself would start with a poly plane, maybe 64x64 divisions, and then start sculpting it. Pull verts up and down and once you have an initial shape, refine it further by subdividing it more, or take it to Mudbox for heavy sculpting.

It depends on your shot though really; do you intend to animate the camer around the stone? Is it just for a static background? You could get away with far less geometry and work in the second case.

anthonymcgrath
08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
agreed - all depends on the camera move mate. If its just a little bit of a nodal pan then it wouldn't require masses of geometry but if you want to walk around the rocks in the fg get ready to be modelling alot of bits on top of it all.

as said poly planes with lots of subdivisions are a great starting point certainly for the mid distance and far distance rocks n mountain walls etc.
I've gotten just as good results using the sculpt tools in maya (altho admittedly not as flexible) but it saves you the hassle of import and export through another app like mudbox, zbrush, sculptbillionspolysWarez etc...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163443

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.