PDA

View Full Version : Make fur invisible during FG calculation

haggi
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi,

I'd like to make my fur completly invisible in the FG stage. This way I can later use the fg information of the surface point where the hairs start.

Unfortunatly I didnt find a way to make the fur completly invisible during FG calculation. I'd really appreciate any ideas.At the moment I have a hair shader which executes a mi_trace_transparent() if I'm in a FG stage, but if I have lots of hairs and additionally shadow maps, this takes ages to render.

Puppet|
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
addAttr -ln "miFinalGatherHide" -at bool myShapeNode;

haggi
08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Good idea. Unfortunatly I create my hairs in a geometry shader and it seems not to work this way.
Do you have any idea how to archive this result in a geo shader?

In the mi file output I can see the line:

visible on
shadow 3
finalgather off
finalgather 3

How can this work? I suppose finalgather off means finalgather 0, but it its overwritten in the next line with finalgather 3. Thats confusing.

In my geometry shader I set
obj->finalgather = 0x00;
But I still get a finalgather occlusion from the geometry.

InfernalDarkness
08-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Have you tried applying it to you geometry before setting up the geometry shader?

haggi
08-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, but the geometry shader replaces the shape node and this way I cannot use the miFinalGatherHide and on the transform node it has no effect because it is not exported.

haggi
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Found the solution. Following puppets tip and analyzing the mi file, I had a look into the mentalray docs and there I could found the correct way to turn it off:

obj->finalgather = 0x12

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.