PDA

View Full Version : Novice trying to rig a hose.

KarlRosner
08-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Hey, I need a hand with a rig Iím working on. Bare in mind that Iím a student with basic rigging experience so what might seem obvious to you guys is probably out of left field for me.

Alright so, basically Iím modeling some robotic arms and I need create some polygon cylinder hoses to deform with their movement. Iíd like to have more than one hose bundled together, but for now getting one working would be cool.

I would love it if I could figure out how to keep their overall poly shape while deforming. Iím thinking they would have a property like hydraulic cables, so not as rigid as steel cable. I guess I could convert them to N-cloth and then futz with their settings to get them properly rigid, and then rig them with bones a bunch of bones, but thatís just a crazy idea. Not sure how well that would work.

Anyhow, my first idea for this rig was pretty direct. It was to create a curve, extrude a poly plane plane along it and just tether each end to where I want them to be connected. So I made a curve, then converted itís points to clusters and tried to parent constrain them together inwards to the center cluster. That worked, more or less, but I couldnít move it into place because it refuses to be grouped. Iíve never really worked with clusters before, just discovered them so Iím pretty sure Iím using them wrong.

I only thought of that N cloth idea while I was writing this post. On further thought I think that it might work, but Iíd need a way to figure out how to make the bones not force the poly mesh to obey them 100%. I might not even have to use bones if the n-clothís Ďspringinessí is maintained. Hmmm

Anyhow, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

-Karl Rosner

dunkelzahn
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Please remember to name the 3D application package you are using.

I guess youīre be using Maya, right?

MattRennie
08-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Its a long time since i used maya but what i might do is create a spline, then create a bone chain with a bone per vertex of your spline, skin your hose to these bones, constrain the bones to their vertex on the spline, then use fur to drive the spline.

Like I say though, its years since Ive used maya!

KarlRosner
08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
You know when you've used a program too much when you just assume every one else uses it. Yes I'm rigging in maya.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.