PDA

View Full Version : Motion Blur on Displacement Map

newguy4life
08-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey everybody,

I've been trying to get motion blur to work when plugging an animated map into the displacement mat. slot of my shading group, and I simply cannot figure out how to get the motion blur working. It works if I put the same map into the bump slot, but won't work with the displacement. Motion blur will blur the object if the object's animated, (full motion blur by the way) but in this case, my object is stationary and the only animated thing is the displacement map.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

lostparanoia
08-12-2011, 02:20 PM
As far as I know, the displacement mesh will be recalculated every frame and a new mesh will appear every frame. Meaning, the polygons will not move from one frame to another, they will be brand new polygons each frame. so with the built in displacement I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get motion blur.

BUT! there is a deformer called displaceD which can deform your mesh using a texture. you can download it from here: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/animation/c/displaced

That script will deform your mesh instead of creating a new one each frame, so you should be able to get motion blur with it.

newguy4life
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Looks perfect for this application.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.