PDA

View Full Version : Resolution for print and color matching

scene215
11-02-2003, 08:03 PM
I want to do a painting in photoshop and then print it out. My question is this.

If i want to print out an 8" * 11" photoshop painting do I start my new file as 8" * 11" or do I go X amount of times bigger then the end result size I am looking for and then shrink it down to 8" *11" when I am finished?

What is a good DPI to use for this since I do want a high rez end product?

And what ways or software are available to color match my printer or one that would be at a print shop like Kinko's?

Thank you
Justin

singularity2006
11-02-2003, 09:04 PM
The easiest way is to start the document @ the size you want but increase the resolution to about 300DPI. I don't think it will be necessary to go any higher than that. That should give you really nice clean prints.

However, to your color issue, that's a bit different. You have a couple of options.

1. Get a new high end printer.
2. Get a color matching kit.

With regards to #2, I can't remember what it was but my old boss had one of these things. What it was was a round device that had a photo sensor plate on the bottom. You suction cup the thing to your monitor with the color test pattern loaded on the screen and the device plugged into the system. The device would callibrate your system and printer by matching what gets outputted on the monitor by what's on the photo plate on the bottom of the device. I don't know how well it worked cuz I never got around to asking, but that's what my old boss used.

scene215
11-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks alot Chuck.
:beer:

Jer
11-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Well, even a high end printer will need a color profile. That sort of thing isn't cheap, it's a bit of a shocker initially, but once you get it all calibrated, you'll demand every monitor you work on to be profiled. Monaco and Colorvision both have great systems for this sort of thing, www.monacosys.com, and colorvision.com . Colorvision's may provide slightly more acurate results since it isn't depending on your scanner as much.

As for resolution, the only thing you may want to double check is weather or not your printer will do a full 8.5x11. Many don't. Recent epson printers support it if you select a photo quality paper. But if you were to downsize from 8.5x11 to 7x9.7 or whatever, you may notice some strange artifacts depending on your image. It is rarely an issue, but it does happen.

halo
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
i cannot empasise this enough

DONT work at a lower res and upsample/res your image, you will gain little back of what the image will look like at higher res...its not the pro way to do it, its micky mouse. Work at your intended resolution.

Run tests to see what the optimal res is on your output device...unless your dealing with very fine detail (ie 6 pt serif type) there will be a point where higher res's offer little visual benefit. But dont create samples by up res'ing, start with a high res image similar to the one you wish to create and drop 50dpi steps down.

As for profiles, a lot of companies provide profiles for their devices, so you may simply be able to download one for your device. Whats not adviseable to download for is your monitor, because even within the same make there can be wide variations.
Calibrate it using adobes onscreen calibration method, but if thats not enough then you will need something like a blueeye to make your monitor profile for you.
Remember that your monitor profile & calibration is your bedrock, whatever profiles you load after that can be offset by any error in your monitor setup. And remember to work with profiles as well :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.