PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting: "Fatigue"

Theta-Dot
11-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Did this a while ago..
I think it 'evokes' emotion.. but i'm wondering what kind.
I titled it "Fatigue", do you think this fits? If not, what do you think it says?

http://thetadot.lazyarse.net/ThetaDot/2D/Fatigue.JPG

thanks

Drakaran
11-02-2003, 07:13 PM
well, first off, I'd drain color from the background until is just on the edge of being pure greytunes so there is only the barest hint of color to help with the idea of fatigue. Further, the midground detailing doesn't seem to have any purpose, it just shows this line/cable running off. I'd make it hazy like the background. Green is a healing/growing color, I would shift the color entirely to maybe off-blue tones or something. the expression and pose does convey the message of fatigue. If that cable/line thing is important to the cause of the fatigue, you need something to indicate it (like cuffs or something, in which case I would make the image much sharper there to bring more focus on the hands area), otherwise consider just getting rid of it entirely as it leads the eyes to nothing off the right edge of the pic.

It's a nice pic and does portray the emotion you were looking for, mainly it is a matter of correcting focus and accentuating the message.

Garma
11-03-2003, 05:53 PM
maybe you need to decide first what kind of emotion you want to emit with this picture? If you go for fatigue well I agree with drakaran for most parts. I like the pose of the character. Maybe you could him (her? not clear enough) lean to something it will do even better. Since we don't see too much of the face you have to express the emotion through the body, that why I suggest to use it even more.

It's not entirely clear what she's holding. What's the cable? Make that clearer, it distracts from the emotion somehow, though it is right in the composition.

jawine
11-04-2003, 09:54 AM
For me it was clear this is about a tired person, but me for it is a person who is and fatigued and a bit depressed. The combination of the forward leaning pose and the lighting on the figure made it come over as a bit of a depressed person on me.

I would add some details to the head, there are several tones in the shirt/pants but most of the head seems to be one gray/green part.

I also agree with the rest that the roles of the cable in the picture is a bit unclear. To me the background looked like a stage with speakers, so i guess it's the cable from a microphone but you cant really see that.

But as a whole, i liked the picture. And i think the title matches the picture :)

Tsahi
11-04-2003, 10:03 AM
to my opinion, if you pose him as tired, fatigue, the head should be dropped in a slightly more low angle, tilting downwards more. right now it looks to me as if he's holding his head at that angle, which points to thinking, or self contemplation. if his head was more dropped, it would show more exhaustion. i think.

also- it might increase the pic's contrast if you darken some parts of his image more. the darkest tones on him now, are all up to a certain level of grey.

Drakaran
11-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Actually, I believe the flatness of the pic is intentional (and a nice effect), and that's one aspect I would not remove. As an emotional piece instead of a technical piece, it does a pretty good job. If anything, some of the dimensional aspects of the pic is what are causing the problem.

Theta-Dot
11-06-2003, 11:06 PM
okay thanks for all the comments so far. It is supposed to be at a concert, and the cable is for a microphone. The background is pretty crappy. And I agree maybe it should have a little more contrast to it.

qwatkins
11-14-2003, 10:46 PM
To me the emotion is not clearly fatigue, in fact, to me it appears that this boy is in wrapt concentration on whatever it is in his lap (gameboy, book, etc.) It was not clear partly because I only got part of his body language (i.e. the only thing I get from his face is silhoutte which is nice but doesn't convey enough mood in conection to his stance; it still leaves too much room for interpretation) Until you explained that he is on stage I missed that. If he really is fatigued from performing, I assume, maybe you could show some glistening sweat and/or drops of sweat falling off of him.

Also, he appears to be dressed as a 7th or 8th grader who is a good kid, studies hard, likes ice cream, generally a 'nice boy' Now, I don't claim to know what kind of performance he is in, maybe a spelling bee or something, but his "costume" could help you to sell that he is a performer and more particularly, what kind of performing he does. I believe that these are additional clues that you might consider to help the composition punch "Fatigue" to the viewer.

Lastly, maybe make the microphone in his hand be a secondary focal point?

slashchords
11-16-2003, 02:52 AM
at first I didn't know what he's holding, until I realize that the boxes in front of him are stage monitors. now I get it. I can imagined a feeling of fatigue being a musician on tour with a massive crowd he has to deal with every night.
I'm not good at this but I think you should add more movement in the background giving contrast a fatigue musician and the gone crazy crowd.

overall, I like this work. I'm also a singer, so somehow I feel some kind of connection...

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.