PDA

View Full Version : Multiple monitors with XSI - different resolutions

sonictk
08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi all.

So I've had a major annoyance with XSI for the longest time, and that's how it handles working with multiple monitors.

I basically have a 1440x900 display (left) and a 1600x1200 (right) display side by side, aligned by top edges.

Because the widescreen display is set as the primary monitor, xsi will start on that monitor. Apparently there doesn't seem to be any way around this. Fine.

What I am particularly annoyed by is the fact that when I drag XSI to the other monitor in an attempt to maximize it, it only maximizes to 1440x900, like so:

http://imgur.com/hcG22

Which is annoying, since I have to manually resize the window to fit the entire monitor.

I've tried dragging the softimage window to the secondary monitor and then making that a workspace, no difference, it still initializes on the primary monitor in 1440x900 resolution.

I've tried making a dual monitor layout that spanned both monitors, but then the status line is hidden (due to the cutoff on the primary monitor) and there doesn't seem to be a way to include it in a custom UI . If I am wrong someone please correct me on this.

Custom relational views don't seem to allow the view manager in them either, so I can't just make a separate 4-view window for the secondary monitor and just maximize that.

Does anyone know of a better way I could handle this rather than having to drag the xsi window to my other monitor and then manually resize it to span the entire screen? I mean, it's not breaking, but it's infinitely annoying. If I could even just drag it from the primary to the secondary and have it automatically maximize to fit the screen correctly I'd be happy.

bravmm
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Are you working with a laptop and external monitor? If so, the setup makes sense.
If not, why are you not working on the larger monitor by default? That way all your problems disappear....
And most applications start on the primary monitor, SI is no different in that one.

And yes, SI has some small multi monitor issues, but your 'problem', is it really that annoying? In W7 you just have to move the window to the top to maximize ;-)

But if I'm correct, there was an option in the NVIDIA monitor settings to start apps on a monitor of choice. Also, there are some (freeware) tools that can do this for you, and are not brand related.

rob

hys17
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi bravmm,

I'm looking for the setting you mentioned that could setup the start monitor for specific apps in nVidia Control Panel. However I couldn't find it in neither Multiple Displays section or Manage 3D Settings.
Is it a specific tool you're using?

Thanks

bravmm
08-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi,

It seems that in the current versions this functionality has been removed. It was ther at one point in time afaik.
Just Google/Bing a bit, there's some freeware apps out there that will add this functionality.

rob

sonictk
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi:

So what I did (eventually) was to use an Ultramon script to manually resize the softimage application window on the 2nd monitor to 1600x1200 (since if I click the maximize button the same problem occurs again). However now I am noticing a lot of weird glitches such as the animation editor sometimes displaying graphical artifacts, progress dialogs failing to appear etc.

I just wish after so long, that softimage actually had better window management that max/maya have nowadays...I've been using xsi from the start when I got into 3d and it's so annoying that this doesn't seem like it will ever be addressed...not everyone has identical dual monitor setups.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.