PDA

View Full Version : Ant picture

thebigMuh
12-13-2001, 05:53 PM
Hi there!

I really like the now look and feel, so I wanna give this a try:

Here's a current picture of mine, done with MAX. I'm still refining it, but I would like to hear what you all think of it:

http://members.chello.at/daniel.rind/pictures/Ant.jpg

Just some info:

The Ant was done with box modelling, the city on the back is part modelled, part a hemisphere with greeble applied. I also added some volume fogs to create the impression of dust and smog.

The picture renders (without MAX multipass dof) in about 7 mins on my Athlon 1400 with 256 Mo of RAM.

Please tell me what you think, and why you love/hate it.

Ciao, ímuh!

DSedov
12-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Nice picture. It kind of reminds me a short by PDI about the cities. Did you composot those buildings, because it looks that it wasn't there originally.

thebigMuh
12-13-2001, 06:01 PM
Nope, the buildings are all there at the back of the ant. I guess it looks a bit "painted on" because of the volume fog (which doesn't respond to lighting/shadow as one would expect), so the city kind of "rides" on the uniformly colored dust clouds. I guess I will fix this by applying different layers of fog (dark at the bottom, brighter at the top).

Thanks for the pointer!

Ciao, ímuh!

PenGuin
12-13-2001, 06:01 PM
From my angle you should work a bit more on ground texture. It's verry flat.
But the idea is great ;)

Duhreetoh
12-13-2001, 06:33 PM
I don't know, I kind of like the ground. From an ant's perspective, everything should be flat. Unless it's a giant ant. :D

It also looks like the buildings have blue lighting on them while nothing else does.

Taoizm
12-13-2001, 06:34 PM
I'd look at adjusting the greeble. Your main buildings are pretty square, but the greeble is pretty flat. If it's meant to represent smaller buildings it's almost there. When using volume fog, try checking the atmosphere shadows in the light rollout.

Equinoxx
12-13-2001, 06:36 PM
Looking good there muh.
I'd love to see that rendered in your AngelDust Render Engine ;)

But you are a lil sneak, aren't you, coming here to improve it, than blow the rest outa the water at 3rd D :D

lildragon
12-13-2001, 06:48 PM
wow that is wild, I especially like the fact you used greeble, awesome atmosphere, keep it up

Weiderman
12-13-2001, 07:58 PM
Well done, old boy! Hats off to such an original idea. Nice to see. The only thing I can point out at a quick glance is that the legs of the ant seem a bit too smooth still - a bit plasticky? Nothing that a few bristly hairs added in post might fix.
Certainly not the end of the world, and a small detail considering how great the overall image is.

nick
12-13-2001, 09:35 PM
Very nice work, a great peice of artwork :D Original showing lots of technical skill to

Chewey
12-13-2001, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by thebigMuh
Hi there!

I really like the now look and feel, so I wanna give this a try:

Here's a current picture of mine, done with MAX. I'm still refining it, but I would like to hear what you all think of it:

http://members.chello.at/daniel.rind/pictures/Ant.jpg

Just some info:

The Ant was done with box modelling, the city on the back is part modelled, part a hemisphere with greeble applied. I also added some volume fogs to create the impression of dust and smog.

The picture renders (without MAX multipass dof) in about 7 mins on my Athlon 1400 with 256 Mo of RAM.

Please tell me what you think, and why you love/hate it.

Ciao, ímuh!

interesting idea. The city elements look a little too sharply defined compared to the ant and background elements that are blurred. Shouldn't be that difficult to correct.

How about an animation?

thebigMuh
12-16-2001, 12:48 PM
..:: UPDATE ON 12/16/01 ::..

Wow people, a big hug to everyone giving a comment on my pic!

I continued working on it, as you can see, and I guess it improved a bit. I did heavy post processing on the rendering, and gave it a bit more of a dream like appearance.

PenGuin: The ground is meant to be as flat as it currently is. It's supposed to represent some kind of dried out sand ground.

Duhretooh: The blue lighting comes from the sky (the empire-state-building-like skyscraper is made of reflective metal)

Taoizm: I "squared" my greebleness, thanks!

Weiderman: I'm not sure if I'm going to add hair, but I think I'll dabble around with displacement a bit more.

Chewey: The blurring comes from the very harsh dof of the camera.

Please tell me what you think of it now!

Ciao, ímuh!

JoBbE
12-16-2001, 01:34 PM
hm wow I really like the 2nd version better! good job!!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.